WP3 Blog 1

Initially, I thought of focusing on Asian Americans, particularly Chinese immigrants, due to the recent racial discrimination and Anti-Asian movements as a result of COVID-19. As an Asian American, I remember seeing on the news a growing number of hate crimes towards Asians in America, especially as people were referring to the epidemic as the 'China-virus'. However, focusing on the accessibility to health care, my research showed that the African American and Hispanic communities were more negatively affected and had the highest number of COVID-19 cases. In my beginning steps of the research process, I found that in many communities including Des Moines, Iowa, the African American and Hispanic accounts for the smallest numbers in population yet make up for the highest percentage of contracting/being affected by COVID. In order to properly look into the social determinants impacting these two communities, I will need to look into the statistics, their accessibility to health care, and what is already in progress to help these groups.



Comments

  1. I liked hearing about your process in choosing a topic and focusing it on a more specific target. There is a huge disparity in African American and Hispanic communities concerning health care, looking into the social determinants that directly cause these issues will be very interesting to look more into.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For my topic I focused on Black people and the health inequities in the United States. I did briefly talk about Covid-19 but it is a topic with a lot data. I think especially with minorities there is a lot to discuss there with racial biases and financial factors.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment